Saturday, October 8, 2011

What the Pearces been up to


Well I do not have a good excuse for not posting the past two months.  August we spent hanging out with my dad.  We had so much fun with him!  Emmett certainly loves his pappy!  Emmett turned 10 months old! 

 We had a fanily reunion up in Idaho.  Emmett had fun grabbing everyones plates and causing a few messes and playing with the grass.

We went down to my cousins daughters baby blessing.  (Matt is my cousin who married my best friend from eight grade Alana, funny huh!)
Emmett loves Cyris.  He loves to play in his dog kennel.  One day I got all three of the boys in there.  Now I know what to do with them when they are being naughty.
 Emmett has progressed from standing with assistance to all on his own from the middle of the room.  It won't be much longer before he is walking
 Emmett is obsessed with his tooth brush.  He is going to be a dentist someday.
 Emmett is bound to be an animal lover with the amount of critters in his life.  This is my sisters horse.
 Emmett and his cousin Hayzlee getting into trouble!  They are so cute together!
 Cyris turned 2 on September 19th.  Here is his birthday peanut butter concoction.
 Emmett doesn't hold still anymore and keeps me on my toes all day long.  Here he is planning on what pony to buy with my money.
 September 20th Emmett turned 11 months old.  He is so goofy, what would we do without this boy?
 Emmett keeps himself pretty entertained with whatever is around.
 

I have been trying to work on my thesis project.  I finally got to go up the first weekend of October.  My field area is in Franklin Basin.  It is an hour drive and then a 3.5 mile hike to my rocks.  My project is to measure the thickness of the Garden City Formation and describe the rocks and fossils to determine what sea level was doing at this location and what life way like back in the Early Ordovician Period (about 450 million year ago when Utah was about 5 degrees north of the Equator forming the shore of a warm tropical sea).  Greg is my field partner.  He is convinced now that Geology is boring after all we did for two days was measure the thickness of rocks.  The current title of my thesis is "The Sequence Stratigraphy and Paleoecology fo the Garden City Formation, Utah and Idaho"  although it needs a new title "The Seris of Unfortunate Events".  My project has been doomed from the beginning.  Summer of 2010 was when I was suppose to start but my professor went on a trip to India and Nepal where he got sick until the end of July.  By the time he was better I was almost 8 months pregnant and hiking 3.5 miles up to 9000 feet is not something a pregnant women should be doing.  Summer 2011 was a contunuation.  The snow in Franklin Basin did not melt unitl the end of July.  In the beginning of July the snow was still 66 inches deep!  August my professor injured his leg and could not hike.  Finally the first week of October I made it out and got a lot done but still need 6-8 more days to finish.  Now there is 6 inches of snow in the mountains again.  Who knows is I will ever get my degree.

Here is Greg in front of the snowmobile cabin in my field area.  There was so much snow this past winter that this cabin was completely covered, nobody could find it (note:Greg is 6 feet tall, that is a lot of snow!).  
 Here I am in my geology get up


Here is my field area this weekend.  My friend Ryan took us up on his Rino but we gave it up.  There was no chance of finding rocks under all this snow.

 This evening Emmett fell asleep in his high chair.  Poor boy was so tired!

1 comment:

Ali and Andrew Hyde said...

I feel like they should just give you your degree! You have worked so hard and none of that crap is your falut! Good Luck though! Emmett is getting so big!